In this episode, we speak to Lior Sternfeld, Assistant Professor of History and Jewish Studies at Penn State, about the history of Jews in Iran. Far from a simple story of “Jews in Muslim Lands,” Lior walks us through the social history of Jews as they experienced rapid changes in social and political status and participated in some of the most seminal events of the 20th century within and beyond the borders of Iran. Much of the conversation revolves around the research found in Lior’s book, Between Iran and Zion: Jewish Histories of Twentieth-Century Iran, published by Stanford University Press.
Learn more at www.joyandconversationpodcast.com
Follow Joy and Conversation on social media:
YouTube- Joy and Conversation
Joy and Conversation is hosted by Dan Osborn
Music supervision, editing mixing, and mastering by Nico Rivers (www.nicoriversrecording.com)
Graphics and Klezmer theme song by Alec Hutson (www.alechutson.com & www.warbirdcreative.com)
Website design by Jakob Lazzaro (www.jakoblazzaro.com)
This episode featured music from the Sephardic group, Voice of the Turtle (www.voiceoftheturtle.com).
- “Ven All Zeresh La Loka (featuring Jay Rosenberg)” from the album The Sword of the Dove: a Judeo-Spanish Purim Fantasia
- “Rau Vanim (featuring Lisle Kulbach & Jay Rosenberg)” from the album The Sworth of the Dove: A Judeo-Spanish Purim Fantasia
- “Yo Hanino, Tu Hanina” from the album From the Shores of the Golden Horn (Music of the Spanish Jews of Turkey)
- “Minouche (featuring Lisle Kulbach)” from the album From the Shores of the Golden Horn (Music of the Spanish Jews of Turkey)
- “En El Kamini De La ‘skola (featuring Lisle Kulbach & Jay Rosenberg)” from the album Under Aegean Moons: Music of the Spanish Jews of Rhodes and Salonika
This episode featured music from Blue Dot Sessions (www.sessions.blue).
- “Contrarian” from the album Sketchbook
- “Kilkerrin” from the album Scalcairn